We’ve created pages with help on specific aspects of web authoring. Don’t hesitate to ask if you need additional information.
Your web administration team
Essential information required for each group post: Group Leader:
eeting Day and Time:
Accepts new members: Yes/No/Waiting list in operation
When you want to include a number of pictures in a post, you can use the simple gallery block offered by the standard editor. If you want more control over formatting and display of pictures you can use Envira Gallery, instructions here: https://u3ajavea.com/info/create-image-galleries/
Select a gallery block You will be asked to upload pictures or select them from the media library Once you've created the gallery, you can edit it to add details like texts, dates and locations. To reorder the pictures to your liking you can drag them within the gallery. You can also add captions to individual pictures ...
Our website is based on categories, it's therefore essential to understand how they work in order to use them correctly. To avoid interfering with other users on the website, please only use the categories you have been assigned. When creating a post, you assign a category, which controls where it will appear within our website Events categories are used to assign individual events to groups and activities (e.g. History, Travel, etc.) and display them on their pages ...
A list of categories available with an explanation on their use. Valid as of 17 February 2020 - purely indicative, as categories are subject to change.
To avoid interfering with the website and other groups, please only
use the category assigned to your group. Post categories Event categories ...
You can use Envira Gallery to create an image gallery with advanced formatting and control over your pictures and their descriptions. You can use a simple gallery, provided by the native editor, to create simple image galleries - instructions: https://u3ajavea.com/info/add-a-gallery-to-a-post/
Select Envira Gallery from your Dashboard. You will have the option of seeing all galleries or Adding a New one Click on Envira Galleries to see Envira galleries you can edit When you click on Add you will have the option of selecting files from your computer or accessing pictures already in the library (Select Files from Other Sources) Pictures ...
The Post Expiration
allows you to set a date and time on which your post will automatically be deleted or undergo some other action. Click on Enable Post Expiration, then select a date and time when the post should expire You will see a menu of choices what to do when the date and time are reached Option to replace the category - select the new category the post should have after expiration Further options concerning categories for expired posts ...
Create calendar events on U3A Javea website Wordpress Terminology
- Page. A static block of information on the website e.g. About Us, Location details
- Post A news item e.g report of a meeting or event. Posts are displayed on the website in chronological order, normally filtered by Category. In time, Posts are replaced by more recent posts.
- Category. A label used to group and filter posts. For example a post might have one category added to indicate the group name and not normally more than one extra category to add the post to the appropriate section of the front page of the website.
- Events ...
You need to be logged in to create or edit an event. You should have the original post and the new event in two separate tabs, so that you can move between them as you copy and paste elements of your new event. Completed repeating group event Open the group page you want to copy from in one tab Open another tab, then create an event
using the menu at the top of your page Fill the date and time fields Click on the repeat box This will open a popup screen Enter the exclusion pattern if required Completed date, ...
You can read online or print out the handout on basic web authoring we have prepared for our authors. Corrections and feedback to: email@example.com
You can share an exact address or geographic position using Google maps.
- Open a tab in your web browser and enter the Google maps address: https://www.google.com/maps (or click on this link)
- Select a location on the map or type an address in the search box:
In the next screen you select the three horizontal bars at the top left of the screen to get a menu of options From the menu that now appears select 'share or embed map' Next screen select 'embed a map' Go to the post you started. Click the three dots at the top right and ...
Use of PDF files is deprecated on our site for various reasons:
- PDFs are not included in searches so you can't easily find them
- Many if not most of our users access our site through their tablets and smartphones. Our site is designed to adapt to this and to scale and reflow pages so that they can be easily read, whatever your device. However, PDFs will not scale and reflow, making their reading difficult if not impossible on small devices
However, sometimes it makes sense to use PDFs files, e.g. when you are posting an official document with signatures, like our ...
In order to author posts and events you have to be logged into
our website. You will find the Login
link at the bottom right of every page on our website When you click on the Login link, you will be presented with the above form. Enter your username (usually the email used to create your account) and your password. You Can click on the box Remember Me if you are using your personal computer - not if you are using a public one
Use the credentials you have received from the web administrators. If you did not receive them ...
In order to display good quality pictures on our site, you should use large format pictures, as long as the overall size doesn't exceed 2MB
, which is the limit for media (photos, graphics, sound, etc) that you may post on our website.
- To stay within the limit of 2MB, you should set the following parameters when you resize your pictures:
- Resolution: 72 pixels per inch
- Size: 1024 pixels for the larger side (horizontal or vertical) - the software will adapt automatically the smaller side, as long as you enable Scale proportionally
Settings in Preview, Mac OS ...
Hints and Tips
Remember you are sending something to the World Wide Web
so anyone anywhere in the world can see it.
- Assign clear, short titles
- Always write in short clear sentences
- Aim your message at an unknown audience in a friendly manner, don’t personalize it to your group members
- Avoid the use of jargon or acronyms that non-members might not understand
- Try to be clear and concise but include all relevant details for your reader
- Keep in mind your and other people’s privacy and safety
- Use only the official U3A email address
- Don’t include your own or anybody else’s personal email, telephone number or home ...
You need to be logged in to create or edit posts. Once you are logged in, you will see the Dashboard
- click on Visit site
to go back to the front page Click on the +New
to open a rolling menu, then click on Post
Preview Correct Publish post Check position on site (based on category) - edit and correct category if necessary, until it's placed where you expect to see it ...
When submitting text and photos for the website, please take the following into account:
- Submit plain text only, fancy formatting will be ignored, as the website theme controls the look of our pages. Word documents are OK, but don't worry about formatting, as it will be largely ignored
- We use pictures extensively on the site, they should be high quality, large format (at least 1024 pixels for the larger side) - please don't submit compressed, tiny pictures, because they won't look good
- Pictures should never be embedded in a document - they can't be extracted and transferred to the site. Pictures must ...